485 Temporary Graduate Visa
What is the 485 visa?
The 485 Temporary Graduate Visa allows you to remain in Australia to live, study or work after you have finished your studies.
The 485 Temporary Graduate visa has two streams
1) Graduate Work stream
Overseas students who have recently graduated and have attained skills and qualifications relevant to specific occupations in Australia are eligible for this. Under this stream, you are able to live, study and work in Australia temporarily.
2) Post-Study Work stream
Overseas students who have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution are eligible for this. Under this stream, you are able to live, study and work in Australia temporarily.
To be able to qualify for a 485 temporary graduate visa, you must:
- be under 50 years of age
- hold an eligible visa
- have a recent qualification in a CRICOS* registered course
*CRICOS – Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students
It is good to note that the following condition might be attached to this:
- 8501 visa condition – The holder must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance, while in Australia, to meet the 485 criteria.
The following evidence must be presented at varying stages of application:
- During lodgement: An appropriate level of health insurance is required, such as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Throughout processing: You will need to supply evidence that you have maintained adequate health insurance during the process period. Adequate health cover could be either Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) or, if your student visa is no longer valid, Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC)
- On Grant: you will need OVHC; OSHC will not be adequate
- Throughout the duration of your 485 visa, you are required to maintain an adequate level of health cover. Health cover can be purchased from an Australian registered health insurer, such as nib Health Insurance and Australian Unity.
When should I apply for this visa?
It is advisable that you apply for this visa within six months after you complete your course. Your course is deemed completed when you receive your final results.